Monday, February 5, 2007

Protein Production

Proteins are an essential part of all living things and they participate in every process within a cell.
Some unbelievable facts about proteins that I think are totally amazing, are that in only ten seconds a cell can create 1,666,660 complete proteins. This is because your body needs 300,000 proteins in all to keep on working properly. The sequence of amino acids in a protein is decided by a gene and the genetic code.
A protein is made of up to 27,000 amino acids. That's a lot of proteins and amino acids! To make proteins your DNA is needed, but your DNA is so precious that it cannot leave the nucleus, only a copy is allowed to leave. Amino acids can be combined almost endlessly to form a huge variety of proteins.
Before, I barely knew about proteins, now I finally realize how important they are.

No comments: